Welcome

Welcome to Quickinfo where you get it all, If you want to Advertise with us, Buy 90million Nigeria GSM Numbers For your adverts, Bulk SMS, Email Addresses (worldwide), etc. contact us via e-mail: quicknews@ymail.com

Friday 8 June 2012

Panic over age of aircraft

By  
Panic over age of aircraft

WOULD-BE passengers were not enthusiastic to fly yesterday in Abuja, following revelations about the ages of aircraft used by domestic airlines. 
Some passengers changed their choice of airlines at the Nnamdi Azikwe Airport, Abuja. 
But the Minister of Aviation’s Special Adviser (Media), Mr. Joe Obi, said there was no basis for panic because age may not matter. 
At the airport, our correspondent met some passengers who were disillusioned about  the ages of aircraft. 
Of the eight airlines examined by palnespotters.net, the least age of aircraft in the country is about 11.3years. 
Some aircraft have average age of 25.6 years, 22.2 years and oldest age range of 30.2 years and 25.6 years. 
The age range accounted for the panic at the airport, with some passengers cancelling their flights. 
A passenger, Mr. Michael Adoga, told our correspondent: “I am just sick with what I read about the age range of the aircraft I had been flying. 
“All my choice airlines have old fleet and I am so psychologically terrified that I do not feel like going on this trip again. Definitely, I will cancel my flight to Lagos .” 
Another passenger, Mrs. Alaba Babatunde, said: “Oh God! I have been moving about in flying coffins. I cannot just come to terms with these revelations. I am really shocked. I am feeling bad. 
“In the last 30 years, I have been flying but I have never come across these frightening statistics.” 
Alhaji Ramalan Mohammed said: “I feel tempted to discontinue my journey with what I have read. I will discuss with my wife and children on the next step. 
“I could not believe that we have 30 years old aircraft in Nigeria . The government should assist us to sanitize this sector.” 
It was gathered that a reasonable number of passengers shelved their trips because of the aircraft age factor. 
A counter clerk with one of the airlines said: “I cannot understand why some passengers decided to cancel their flights. They have been complaining of age of the aircraft.” 
The Special Adviser on Media to the Aviation Minister, Mr. Joe Obi, however said: “Going by what some aviation experts said on AIT on Wednesday and the little I know, age has nothing to do so much with air worthiness. The real issue is about maintenance.  The Federal Government had taken proactive measures by banning aircraft above 22 years. The age does not have anything to do with worthiness of an aircraft, it is about maintenance. 
“There is no need for panic by air travelers, the Minister of Aviation, Mrs. Stella Oduah, has been up and doing in ensuring that all relevant regulators live up to expectations before any aircraft takes off. Our airspace is safe.” 
Asked if the ministry is issuing fresh directives to airlines on safety, Obi said: “There are standing regulations which the NCAA and others have been enforcing. It is incumbent on the airlines to comply with these regulations and to look inward.” 
On the AIB team going to the US for the analysis of the Black Box of the ill-fated aircraft of Dana Air, Obi said: “The team will leave Nigeria on Thursday night and we expect that within a reasonable time, they will be back with the cause of the crash.” 
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment